Ficelles (Simple Rustic Baguettes)
These little rustic baguettes make a wonderful canvas for sandwiches. With a soft, airy interior and crisp crust, they are perfect for making savory goods wrapped for picnics, and it’s as simple as cutting a focaccia into long strips.
MAKES 4 TO 6 FICELLES
PREP TIME: 15 minutes (5 minutes to mix the dough, 5 minutes to fold the dough, and 5 minutes to divide and shape the dough)
INACTIVE TIME: 20 minutes to rest, 1 hour 30 minutes to rise, 30 to 45 minutes to proof the dough and preheat the oven
BAKE TIME: 20 to 25 minutes
TOOLS NEEDED: thermometer, kitchen scale, large bowl, kitchen towel, 16-by-24inch rimmed baking sheet, pizza cutter or sharp knife
FOR THE DOUGH 8 grams instant yeast
375 grams water
500 grams all-purpose flour
10 grams salt
Oil, for greasing the pan
FOR THE FICELLE TOPPING
¼ cup olive oil
- CREATE THE DOUGH: Follow the Master Recipe for No-Knead Bread through step 8.
- SHAPE: Oil a 16-by-24-inch rimmed baking sheet. Pull your dough out of the bowl and drop it directly onto the sheet. Press the dough gently into a rough rectangle. Using a pizza cutter or a sharp knife, cut the dough into 4 to 6 equal pieces. Pour the olive oil over the dough pieces and gently stretch each strip into an elongated baguette shape. Don’t worry if they have a bit of character to them.
- PROOF: Let the ficelles proof for 30 to 45 minutes, until they are puffy and airy and feel like a marshmallow. When pressed with a finger, it should leave an indent instead of springing back up.
- PREHEAT: While the dough is proofing, preheat the oven to 475°F and set the rack in the middle position of the oven.
- BAKE: Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the ficelles are light golden brown.
- COOL: Let cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes to let the interior
crumb set and make it easier to slice.